OverSim Installation Instructions for Mac OS X
These instructions show you how to install OverSim on Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) to 10.8 (Mountain Lion).
1. Installing X11 (Mountain Lion only)
OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) does not bundle X11 anymore, so some extra work is needed if you want to use the GUI. If you are using Snow Leopard or Lion, you can skip to step 2 (Installing OMNeT++)
- Download the XQuartz window system and install it.
- Open a terminal and enter:
cd /usr/include sudo ln -s /opt/X11/include/X11
2. Installing OMNeT++
- Download OMNeT++ 4.2.2 from http://www.omnetpp.org/ after reading the License
- Create a new directory (in the following we assume you want to install OMNeT++ and OverSim to ~/sim/) and extract OMNeT++:
mkdir ~/sim cd ~/sim tar xzvf ~/Downloads/omnetpp-4.2.2-src.tgz
- Install OMNeT++ by the official instructions for OS X (Chapter 3, PDF). Note: If you use Mountain Lion, just follow the Lion instructions. You should be fine since you installed X11 in Step 1.
3. Installing GMP
After completing step 2 you have the required command line tools like g++. Additionally, the GMP library is required for building Oversim. There are several package managers which let you install it, you can choose either: Fink, MacPorts, Homebrew should all be fine. Personally, I use Homebrew, it's lightweight and awesome. If you are unsure, just follow the instructions.
- Install Homebrew by pasting this line into a terminal:
ruby -e "$(curl -fsSkL raw.github.com/mxcl/homebrew/go)"
- Enter your admin password if needed
- If this did not work or you lack admin rights, visit the official Homebrew website for up-to-date install instructions
- Install GMP:
brew install gmp
4. Installing the INET Framework
- Download the INET framework inet-20111118-src.tgz and extract in next to your OMNeT++ installation:
cd ~/sim tar xzvf ~/Downloads/inet-20111118-src.tgz
- Compile the INET framework:
cd ~/sim/inet make makefiles make
5. Installing OverSim
- Download the latest OverSim snapshot OverSim-20121206.tgz and extract in next to your OMNeT++ installation:
cd ~/sim tar xzvf ~/Downloads/OverSim-20121206.tgz
- Compile OverSim (for ReaSE support read the following instructions):
cd ~/sim/OverSim make makefiles make
Congratulations - now you should have a working OverSim installation on your Mac! For instructions how to use OverSim look at OverSimUsage.
How to use Eclipse to compile OverSim
You can also use the included Eclipse IDE to compile OverSim:
- Start Eclipse with omnetpp
- Create a new workspace by choosing a new workspace directory on Eclipse startup
- File->Import->General->Existing Projects into Workspace->Next->select the inet directory->Finish
- Repeat the same steps for the OverSim project
- The build process should start automatically - if not, hit ⌘B